Hurricane Irma Update 5
Today has been a rainy windy day. Rain off and on, wind off and on. The last 2-3 hours (6-8:30pm) has been pretty consistently windy (less rain). We are starting to get the effects of Hurricane Irma.
Here's a video I took at about noon today (our backyard):
This was really not much, but I will say that videos and photos don't really do justice for extreme weather. Whenever I capture a storm on a video, it looks like nothing compared to reality.
This afternoon Kyle and I took a drive to check things out (don't worry, it was still very safe--today is not anything we haven't already experienced--we've experienced worse). We wanted to see how many people were on the roads, if any businesses were open. Mostly only a few mom-and-pop shops were open.
A cigar shop was open. There was an Arby's that was open til 2:00pm. As we drove by, it was 2:05 and there were a lot of cars in the parking lot (because it was one of the only places open to serve food), and there were cones in the entrance, so they were not taking any more customers.
About half the gas stations were closed. There were not a lot of people on the roads. However, there was more than I expected.
The freeway (I-95) had barely anyone on it. So anyone who wants to evacuate, it's still safe to do so. There was traffic on the freeway on Wednesday and Thursday, but not today.
We drove toward the 192 bridge (which goes over Indian River and leads to the beach) to see what it was like. The weather just on our side of the bridge was better than it was when we left our house and the trees didn't give us much sign of a lot of wind. Other people were driving over the bridge, so we decided to go over and check out the beach.
Here's a video I took of the beach in Indialantic, straight over the 192 bridge, which is the closest beach to our house when driving by car:
It was not very bad yet. It was windy, but not very strong wind. The surf was a bit more rough and bigger and more waves than usual. Families were walking down the beach which I thought was strange. Many Floridians do not take hurricanes very seriously. At least they don't let it stop them from living their lives until really the last minute.
Melbourne Beach started curfew tonight. Melbourne Beach is just south of Indialantic.
The spaghetti plots have shifted ever so slightly west yet again. But who knows where it will actually go. We continue to stay prepared. We are ready now for whatever. And God will be with us no matter what.
Here's a video I took of the wind tonight at about 8:15pm:
Sorry you can't see much. I don't have a great camera. The only thing you can really see is a palm tree swaying in front of a street light.
Also, just FYI, my phone doesn't have enough memory for me to post pictures or videos on the blog (this post I did on the computer since we still have power). So if I'm having to post an update via my phone's data, I won't be able to post any photos or videos. After the hurricane and everything goes back to normal, I'm going to buy myself a Micro SD card for my phone to get more memory on here!
That's it for now. If you don't see more updates, just know it's most likely just that the power is out. Don't think the worst. If you're worried, just pray. God's in control of everything we can't do.
Love and Peace,
Lisha and Kyle
Previous Update: http://lishayost.blogspot.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-update-4.html
Next Update: http://lishayost.blogspot.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-update-6.html
Here's a video I took at about noon today (our backyard):
This was really not much, but I will say that videos and photos don't really do justice for extreme weather. Whenever I capture a storm on a video, it looks like nothing compared to reality.
This afternoon Kyle and I took a drive to check things out (don't worry, it was still very safe--today is not anything we haven't already experienced--we've experienced worse). We wanted to see how many people were on the roads, if any businesses were open. Mostly only a few mom-and-pop shops were open.
A cigar shop was open. There was an Arby's that was open til 2:00pm. As we drove by, it was 2:05 and there were a lot of cars in the parking lot (because it was one of the only places open to serve food), and there were cones in the entrance, so they were not taking any more customers.
About half the gas stations were closed. There were not a lot of people on the roads. However, there was more than I expected.
The freeway (I-95) had barely anyone on it. So anyone who wants to evacuate, it's still safe to do so. There was traffic on the freeway on Wednesday and Thursday, but not today.
We drove toward the 192 bridge (which goes over Indian River and leads to the beach) to see what it was like. The weather just on our side of the bridge was better than it was when we left our house and the trees didn't give us much sign of a lot of wind. Other people were driving over the bridge, so we decided to go over and check out the beach.
Here's a video I took of the beach in Indialantic, straight over the 192 bridge, which is the closest beach to our house when driving by car:
It was not very bad yet. It was windy, but not very strong wind. The surf was a bit more rough and bigger and more waves than usual. Families were walking down the beach which I thought was strange. Many Floridians do not take hurricanes very seriously. At least they don't let it stop them from living their lives until really the last minute.
Melbourne Beach started curfew tonight. Melbourne Beach is just south of Indialantic.
The spaghetti plots have shifted ever so slightly west yet again. But who knows where it will actually go. We continue to stay prepared. We are ready now for whatever. And God will be with us no matter what.
Here's a video I took of the wind tonight at about 8:15pm:
Sorry you can't see much. I don't have a great camera. The only thing you can really see is a palm tree swaying in front of a street light.
Also, just FYI, my phone doesn't have enough memory for me to post pictures or videos on the blog (this post I did on the computer since we still have power). So if I'm having to post an update via my phone's data, I won't be able to post any photos or videos. After the hurricane and everything goes back to normal, I'm going to buy myself a Micro SD card for my phone to get more memory on here!
That's it for now. If you don't see more updates, just know it's most likely just that the power is out. Don't think the worst. If you're worried, just pray. God's in control of everything we can't do.
Love and Peace,
Lisha and Kyle
Previous Update: http://lishayost.blogspot.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-update-4.html
Next Update: http://lishayost.blogspot.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-update-6.html
Good information, liked the beach video. Nice beach. Love you Lisha and Kyle. I think it's going to be alright.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think it's going to be OK :) Love you!
Delete