Hurricane Irma Update 10

We're all back to normal now (except our phones seems to be having some minor issues, so I'm not sure if that's hurricane related or not... probably a bit).

We got internet last night. Too tired to post anything. We finished the majority of our yard work and outside work yesterday, in the heat of the sun.

We lost power for only 22 hours (5:30pm Sunday to 3:30pm Monday), so that was nice ðŸ˜Š

Water has been working the entire time, but it may not be safe to drink, which is fine. We still have tons of water, and we have a really good water filter and we can also boil water if we need to.

We were lucky. Some really crazy things happened, including a tornado in Palm Bay ( and a few in other areas). Bad flooding in some areas, but the areas we've driven around in Palm Bay seem fine. Melbourne has more flooding. I think the very worst damage was actually caused by tornadoes. Old gas stations seemed to get very bad damage. New gas stations are all fancy so they're perfectly fine.

Lots of people lost shingles from their roofs, including us. Lots of tree debris. Signs down, etc. Our mailbox fell down and also our neighbor's across the street too.

I think Hurricane Irma was worse for our area than Hurricane Matthew. It was scary while it was happening. Not because I thought I was going to die or anything, but just because you didn't know what was going to happen at any moment, with those strong gusts, it made lots of noise, so it was just scary.

It stopped raining probably around 11pm sunday night and didn't rain anymore after that. 

The storm was bad (as in not OK to go outside) between maybe 4pm Sunday to 7am monday. We actually went on a walk outside around 3pm on Sunday because it had gotten kind of calm, so we walked about 6 houses down and then extreme gusts started happening, so we ran home. We had our umbrellas, which we had to face into the wind as we "ran" home. We didn't go outside after that, except for on our front door step and on our patio for a few seconds to take some videos. It was actually pretty much still safe to go on the patio until maybe 8pm or so, which was fine because by then it was just too dark to really see much anyway. The wind was mostly coming from the east, and our patio faces the east, so a lot of rain was coming onto our patio. Our front door area was actually very sheltered since it faces the west.

The worst was between probably around 10:00pm-4am. Around 10:00pm we started hearing extra noises that we didn't hear earlier, which we presume to be the roofing shingles flapping and hitting the roof (the shingles we lost were all in one area over our bedroom).

We went to bed at midnight (Kyle took niquil and I took two benedryl and had ear plugs in). We were exhausted so we actually went to sleep.

I woke up at 2:45am and it was very bad and scary. I walked around the house and looked out the windows to see what was happening. I prayed to God and God told me not to worry and just go back to bed, so I did.

I woke up again at 6:30am and looked out all the windows again. It was still very strong, but definitely not as bad. It was dying down by this point. The wind had also changed directions at this point. The wind was blowing from the East during most of the storm and toward the end it shifted coming from the south, and by Monday morning it was coming from the west.

Went back to bed and woke up at about 10:15.

People were out in their yards cleaning up already. The sun was shining.

I'll post more with photos and videos later, maybe tomorrow. I'm going to the doctor to get my wrist checked out and I also need to get some work done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricane Irma Update 9

Hurricane Irma Update 7